Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Comfort and joy rests in my soul.  I am here. I am back.  
Oh finally.
Thank you dear Jesus. 

Readers, I can not thank you enough.  They say it takes a village to raise a child, and this child certainly isn't done growing.  Some of you have supported me through prayer, through financial donations, by offering a listening ear, or even just by showing interest and reading this update.  But to each one of you, thank you.  I am so very grateful--God has made this possible through you. This path, which many of you have traveled with me, has been somewhat similar to the roads in Uganda; dirty and bumpy.  But similarly it has also been truly beautiful.  There is something magnificent about the red dirt roads against the backdrop of mud hut houses, laundry on the line, children running, and women working.  

I am in Gulu, Uganda to serve the Lord.  
You see, He has this group of people who He loves dearly. They're his children.  But they have lived through horrific experiences of rape, abuse, and mistrust.  They are thirsting for hope. To know they are loved and desired.  

 I believe full heartedly the Lord jealously wants to meet these needs.  

If I ended the description here, you may have a picture of these silent, emotionless, lifeless people.  But oh no--that has not been my experience.  Though I believe many of them could relate to those characteristics in the past, I delight to tell you that most of these women have eagerly placed their hope and their salvation in the hands of their father, Jesus Christ.  My daily interactions have been filled with singing, laughing, joyful squeals, and even sassy tongues.  There is life alright, but that does not negate the impact their past is making on their present day.  

I am here to serve with an organization called Zion Project (zionproject.org). Zion Project works with war-affected women and girls exploited by the global sex trade.  Through my time here I will be loving and ministering to the women, children, and staff. I also pray that this experience will cause a ripple effect that reaches many westerners for years to come.  My friend Brooke and I are working together on our occupational therapy masters thesis which is focused on the rehabilitation of human sex trafficking victims.  While I am spending nine weeks working with Zion Project, Brooke will be volunteering with another human trafficking organization called LightForce International in San Juan, Costa Rica.  Through this research we home for this ripple effect to reach our communities at home, school, and cause waves in our profession of occupational therapy.  

I have so many stories I want to share with you. But I'm trying not to overwhelm you in the first posting! Thank you again.  Life is abundant and wonderful, and I can not thank God enough for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment